Thomas F. O'Mara focuses his practice on commercial transactions, corporate, public finance and real estate.
In addition to his law practice, Thomas was elected to represent New York State’s 53rd Senate District in 2010, covering all of Chemung, Schuyler, Steuben and Yates counties, and a portion of Tompkins County and is currently serving his second term. He is chairman of the Senate Standing Committee on Elections and is a member of the Senate Finance Committee. Prior to that he served in the New York State Assembly representing Chemung and Schuyler counties as well as part of Tioga County for six years.
Tom is a former Chemung County District Attorney, Chemung County Attorney and Assistant District Attorney in both Manhattan and Chemung County. He holds a Juris Doctorate from the Syracuse University College of Law and a B.A. from the Catholic University of America.
Tom is counsel to the Chemung County Industrial Development Agency.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 1991
- Catholic University of America, B.A., 1987
- New York, 1992
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- New York State Senator, 58th Senate District, 2011-Present
- New York State Assemblyman, 137th Assembly District, 2005-2010
- Southern Tier Economic Growth (STEG), Former Director
- Schuyler County Partnership for Economic Development, Member
- St. Joseph's Hospital, Elmira, New York, Former Director and Secretary
- New York State Judicial Screening Committee for Chemung County, Former Member
- Horseheads Free Library, Former Trustee
- Wings of Eagles (formerly National Warplane Museum), Former Board Member
- American Red Cross, Chemung/Schuyler Chapter, Former Director (1996-2000) and Chairman (2001-2002)
- Martindale-Hubbell “BV” Peer Review Rated for High to Very High Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- Davidson & O'Mara, P.C., Partner, 1994-2013
- Chemung County, County Attorney, 2000-2004
- Chemung County District Attorney's Office, District Attorney, Assistant District Attorney, 1996-1999
- New York County District Attorney's Office - Assistant District Attorney, 1991-1994