Steve represents industrial and commercial property owners, developers, investors, retailers, not-for-profits, service businesses, and technology companies in matters involving acquisition and sale transactions, development projects, and financing transactions. Steve also has extensive experience representing landlords and tenants in commercial leasing matters for retail, office, manufacturing, and shopping-center space, including ground-lease transactions.
As part of his real estate practice, Steve routinely drafts and negotiates easements , services agreements, and tax-exemption agreements and gives counsel on economic development and incentive programs, title matters, and environmental issues.
In addition to his own practice, Steve serves on the firm’s Compensation Committee and Associates Committee.
- Represented not-for-profit organizations in the development of affordable and supportive housing projects throughout New York State.
- Represented real estate investors in the acquisition of apartment complexes and portfolios.
- Represented real estate developers in the sale of office-complex portfolios.
- Represented a major manufacturer in the sale of an office building and research laboratory facility to a health care company as part of a $2.1 billion sale of the company’s health-imaging business.
- Represented a developer in the acquisition of land for a golf course project in Western New York.
- Represented a franchisee in leasing, land acquisition, and financing for a national retail-restaurant chain.
- Represented a municipality in the acquisition of a former golf course property for municipal purposes.
- Represented a national technology company in negotiating the lease for its corporate headquarters.
- Represented a telecommunications company in all aspects of its first-phase build-out of cell-tower sites in Western New York, including zoning approvals, leasing, and title matters.
- Represented a real estate developer in the purchase of Rochester Tech Park in Western New York, with over 5 million square-feet of light-industrial, manufacturing, and warehouse space. The transaction included PSC approval, Empire Zone certification, and environmental-remediation issues.
- Represented the acquisition of undeveloped land in Canal Ponds Business Park in the Towns of Greece and Gates, New York, and construction financing for a wholesale-club facility.
- Represented a major manufacturer in the sale of its 5.1 million square-foot light-industrial, manufacturing, and warehouse facility. At the time, it was the single-largest real estate transaction by sale price in Monroe County history.
- Represented a Fortune 500 manufacturer in numerous real estate transactions from 2004-2011 involving the sale of parcels and buildings in the company’s industrial park, including drafting and negotiating utility-service agreements.
- Washington & Lee University School of Law, J.D., 1983
- Colgate University, A.B., cum laude, 1979
- New York, 1984
- Monroe County Bar Association, Campaign for Justice Cabinet Member and Former Real Estate Section Chair
- New York State Bar Association, Real Property Law Section
- New York State Commercial Association of Realtors
- Spiritus Christi Church, Cantor and Visioning Board Member
- New York State Bar Association, “Hot Topics in Real Estate Law”
- ACLAIMH Fall 2018 Conference “Converting an ESSHI Award Into A Project”
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated for Very High Ethical Standards and Legal Ability, Distinguished, 2019
- Selected to Super Lawyers Upstate New York: Real Estate, 2010
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- Chamberlain D’Amanda Oppenheimer & Greenfield, LLP, Partner
- Chamberlain D’Amanda Oppenheimer & Greenfield, LLP, Associate
- Nixon, Hargrave, Devans & Doyle, Associate