In his role as assistant Medicaid Inspector General, Bob supervised a staff of over 200 auditors, investigators, and attorneys responsible for Medicaid provider program-integrity control. During his tenure, he drafted and negotiated numerous regulations and proposed legislation. Additionally, he was the liaison with the State Medicaid Fraud Control Unit and with various federal fraud control entities. Working with the NYS Attorney General’s Office, Bob successfully defending numerous lawsuits involving Medicaid initiatives, some of which were heard in the US Court of Appeals, second circuit.
In counseling clients, Bob draws on his experience with federal agencies’ implementation of fraud-control initiatives, systems procedures for E-MEDNY, the Medicaid billing and data operating system, as well as New York’s legislative, regulatory, and budget processes.
- Represented Rite Aid and other Medicaid providers in numerous Medicaid audits, resulting in favorable settlements and/or administrative outcomes to the client.
- Worked on a team that successfully represented independent pharmacies in challenging New York State’s mandatory mail prescription-ordering for Medicaid recipients.
- Represented numerous clients in successfully challenging state denials of applications to become Medicaid providers.
- Working with the Medical Society of the State of New York, successfully obtained Medicaid reinstatement for physicians previously terminated from the Medicaid program due to professional licensure issues.
- Provided compliance guidance to numerous providers of medical practices, including providers or transportation, physician, pharmacy, personal care, substance-use disorder, and hospital services as well as school-based Medicaid service providers.
- While serving as assistant Medicaid Inspector General, provided testimony to the NYS Legislature regarding Medicaid fraud control and program-integrity initiatives.
- Hofstra University School of Law, J.D., 1975
- State University of New York at Oneonta, B.A., 1972
- New York, 1976
- New York State Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Town of Colonie Industrial Development Agency, Former Member
- Westland Hills Little League, Former Officer
- New York State Medicaid Fraud Control Unit, “Medicaid Provider Action”
- “Responding to Audits, Investigations, Subpoenas and Warrants in New York”
- Regularly provides presentations to health care professional associations, including the Pharmacists Society of the State of New York (PSSNY), the Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Providers of New York State (ASAPNYS), and school districts regarding the provision of Medicaid services to children (SSHSP).
- NYS Department of Health, Assistant Medicaid Inspector General
- NYS Department of Social Services, Director of Bureau of Program Integrity
- NYS Department of Social Services, Deputy Counsel, Medicaid Fraud Control
- NYS Department of Social Services, Assistant Counsel, Bureau of Administrative Hearings