Ray additionally serves as benefits counsel to for-profit and charitable organizations and as corporate-governance counsel to not-for-profit corporations and foundations.
- Represented a community hospital in the negotiation of affiliation with a large, regional medical system.
- Negotiated a settlement with the US Department of Labor and Internal Revenue Service, restoring benefits to participants in a not-for-profit human resource agency’s pension plan and preserving tax-qualified status.
- Preserved the tax qualification of an employee-stock-ownership plan that did not have proper plan documentation by negotiating the closing agreement with the IRS.
- Facilitated a medical center’s RFP process to secure a strategic partner to ensure the long-term economic viability of the programs at the center. Negotiated and closed an acquisition agreement with a strategic partner at the university medical center. Obtained required approvals from the Department of Health and NY Attorney General.
- Coordinated and obtained judicial approval of the transfer of a medical facility with the continuation of the transferor’s corporate enterprise and pension plan.
- Negotiated a tax-liability settlement with the IRS of a not-for-profit corporation in connection with the acquisition by another not-for-profit entity.
- Negotiated a settlement of ERISA issues with the USDOL of a not-for-profit corporation in connection with the takeover of programming by a successor charity.
- Counseled charitable foundations regarding the use of restricted and unrestricted gifts and the disposition of assets upon dissolution.
- University at Buffalo School of Law, J.D., 1983
- State University of New York at Fredonia, B.A., 1979
- New York, 1984
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
American Bar Association
New York State Bar Association
- Erie County Veterans Post Revitalization Post, Advisory Board Member
- United Methodist Volunteers in Mission, Disaster Relief Team Leader
- The Law Society of Upper Canada Estate and Trusts Summit, “US/Canada Cross-Border Issues”
- Goodwill Industries Board Retreat, “Executive Compensation After the New York Nonprofit Revitalization Act of 2013”
- Buffalo Tax Institute, “The Affordable Care Act: The Employer Mandate and Other Considerations”
- New York State Bar Association, “Dealing With Your Client’s Retirement Assets” CLE
- New York State Bar Association, President’s Pro Bono Service Award for the Eighth Judicial District, 2016
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated for Very High to Preeminent Ethical Standards and Legal Ability, 2013-2019
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- Saperston & Day, P.C., Partner
- Supreme Court Upholds ERISA Exemption for Retirement Plans of Religiously Affiliated Hospitals
- More Changes Coming for New York Not-for-Profits
- IRS Extends Deadlines for Employers to Furnish and File 2015 ACA Information Returns
- IRS Issues Guidance for Drafting and Updating Hospital Financial Assistance Policies