Peter began his career as the bankruptcy trustee for one of the oldest library furniture manufacturers in the United States, the company that made much of the furniture of the Library of Congress. He then became counsel to the US Small Business Administration (SBA), with initial responsibility for the agency’s banking relationships from Buffalo to Albany and in Canada. This led to Peter’s representation of 16 banks, ranging from large money-center institutions to local banks. With the passage of the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1978, Peter and two other SBA attorneys were selected to teach the new bankruptcy law to all SBA attorneys as well as attorneys at other agencies.
Peter joined Menter, Rudin & Trivelpiece, now Barclay Damon, in 1980 and began representing many CNY businesses that needed financial restructuring or orderly liquidations. Among these clients were third-generation-owned businesses and manufacturers of products that were sold throughout the United States.
- Served as lead counsel in the restructure and subsequent liquidation of two independent, third-generation clothing retailers with multiple locations.
- Served as lead counsel in the orderly liquidation of a third-generation national manufacturer of products for the transportation and telecommunications industries. This was the first plant closure affected by the WARN Act.
- Served as lead counsel in the orderly liquidation of two large foundries in New York’s Southern Tier, one of which made parts for a national appliance manufacturer for decades.
- Served as lead counsel for the creditors’ committee representing approximately 12,500 member-producers of a federated dairy cooperative.
- Served as lead counsel in the reorganization of an electrical cogeneration facility in Northern New York. This complex matter involved a catastrophic explosion, gas supply agreements, power-purchase agreements, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, and a failed bank, among other factors.
- Served as lead counsel in multiple restructurings of a hotel on a college campus.
- Served as lead counsel to a large bank consortium in the reorganization of a major hotel in downtown Syracuse.
- Served as lead counsel in the successful restructuring of the longest continuously operating paper manufacturer in the United States.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D.
- Syracuse University, B.A.
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- Onondaga County Drug & Rehabilitation Program, Board of Directors President
- New York State Bar Association, CLE presentations on bankruptcy and creditors’ rights topics
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights/Insolvency, 1978-2019
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated for Very High to Preeminent Ethical Standards and Legal Ability, 1978-2018
- Menter, Rudin & Trivelpiece, PC, Of Counsel
- Menter, Rudin & Trivelpiece, PC, Shareholder
- Menter, Rudin & Trivelpiece, PC, President and CEO
- US Small Business Administration, Counsel