Nick has extensive experience handling joint ventures; mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures; executive-compensation arrangements; tax-driven real estate transactions; and tax-driven debt restructurings. He manages legal issues for clients and identifies financial concerns by analyzing factors uncovered in reviews of financial statements and business plans. He also works closely with the accounting departments of large organizations, including major universities, to ensure that these organizations are compliant with the complex tax and other legal requirements to which they are subject.
Nick also negotiates favorable tax settlements for individual and business clients and supports firm attorneys with his knowledge of tax laws and his ability to work efficiently within federal, state, and local government agencies.
- Negotiated and drafted complex partnership agreements for entrepreneurs using various funding arrangements.
- Structured and negotiated complex tax credit deals for institutional and individual clients.
- Negotiated and drafted deferred compensation arrangements for several high profile clients.
- Drafted and reviewed documentation related to complex mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, financing transactions, and employment matters.
- Structured and implemented business ventures and reorganizations for large companies.
- Advised real estate investors on a variety of complex and cutting-edge tax-free exchanges. Executed those exchanges by drafting tax-safe harbor agreements and navigating clients through relationships with third-parties, including lenders and intermediaries.
- Structured and implemented highly complex wealth-transfer arrangements, including family partnerships and LLCs and tax-planning trusts.
- Successfully resolved multiple federal and state tax controversies for individual and business clients, saving significant tax costs.
- Reviewed player contracts and other due diligence items, ensured antitrust law compliance, and assisted in the planning and execution of a letter of intent for the acquisition of a major league baseball team by the owner of a National Football League team.
- Navigated the complicated ownership rules of the NFL to devise a tax-friendly estate plan for a team owner and his family.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 1997
- St. John Fisher College, B.S., magna cum laude, 1993
- New York, 1998
- U.S. Tax Court
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- St. John Fisher College, Former International Taxation Master’s Program Adjunct
- Lectures on tax planning to organizations such as the New York State Bar Association
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Of Counsel
- Atlas Automation, Inc., General Counsel and CFO
- Woods Oviatt Gilman LLP, Senior Associate
- Hancock & Estabrook, LLP, Associate
- Price Waterhouse, LLP, Tax Consultant