Matthew primarily focuses on trust and estate planning and administration as well as business succession and other corporate planning. He regularly works with clients of all backgrounds to implement planning strategies to protect assets, preserve wealth, reduce potential income- and estate-tax liabilities, and ensure a smooth administration of trusts and estates.
To achieve these goals, Matthew routinely drafts both simple and complex trust and estate planning documents to meet the needs of clients, from young, growing families looking out for the security of their children to highly established business owners looking to transition their businesses to the next generation and implement tax-planning strategies that preserve their assets for that generation. He has experience drafting wills, revocable trusts, irrevocable income-only and Medicaid trusts, life insurance trusts, and business operating agreements as well as powers of attorney, health care proxies, and living wills.
- Converted a family limited partnership into an limited liability company to own and operate the family recreational property and prepared an operating agreement ensuring a smooth transition of the family heritage property through successive generations while ensuring maximum liability protection.
- Implemented a holistic plan for a local business owner to transition the business to his children, including a will, planned gifting strategies, new operating agreements, and tax-planning strategies.
- University at Buffalo School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- St. John Fisher College, B.A., cum laude
- New York
- Monroe County Bar Association, Trusts and Estates Section
- New York State Bar Association
- Lacy Katzen LLP, Attorney
- Monroe County Surrogate Court, New York Trust & Estate Law Section, Fellow
- NYS Court of Appeals Judge Eugene Fahey, Intern