For decades, Lisa has primarily concentrated her practice on matters involving energy generation, transmission, and distribution, representing clients before the NY Public Service Commission (PSC); the NYS Energy Research & Development Authority; and other federal, state, and municipal agencies and governments. There are few, if any, NYS regulatory issues in New York State that she was not actively involved in at their inception.
Lisa has extensive experience handling energy litigation; regulation, including rule-making and evidentiary hearings; and transactions such as power purchases, RECs, rate agreements, design, engineering, and construction. Her clients have included fully regulated electric, gas, and water utility companies; lightly regulated wholesale generation plants, ESCOs; and wholesale and retail renewable energy companies.
Lisa draws on her early experience interpreting constitutions, statutes, and regulations as a clerk in the US District Court and the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit to best advise clients on the law and represent them before tribunals.
- Represented a major investor-owned holding company in successful Article 78 litigation regarding an order of the NY PSC directed at a subsidiary operating company.
- Represented a major utility company in a variety of litigated proceedings before the NYPSC administrative law judge.
- Represented a major utility company and non-utility companies in industry restructuring, renewable energy, reliability, distributive generation, HEFPA, and other initiatives before the NYPSC, dating back to the inception of the policies.
- Represented a major investor-owned utility in connection with regulatory and litigation issues associated with the design, engineering, and construction of a nuclear power plant.
- Obtained state regulatory approvals for upstream changes in ownership; financing, including issues of bonds and other indebtedness; and specially negotiated energy agreements.
- Secured trade-secret protection from the NYPSC for highly sensitive customer load data, revenues, and other financial information.
- Advised regulated, lightly regulated, and un-regulated entities on compliance with NYS statutes, energy-related statutes, and regulations and assisted them in the development of compliance programs.
- Trained client personnel on commercial and compliance issues.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., Lead Articles Editor, Syracuse Law Review, 1980
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, A.B., Rhodes Scholarship Nominee, 1976
- New York, 1981
- Energy Bar Association
- NYS Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Barclay Damon Women’s Forum
- Kindred Kingdoms Wildlife, Inc., NYSDEC-Licensed Volunteer
- Onondaga County Civil War Round Table, Member
- National ESCO Conference, “New York State Developments”
- NYS ESCO Seminar, “HEFPA: Critical Issues Affecting ESCOs” Energy Law Journal, “On the Acquisition of Upstream Interests in New York Energy Operating Companies – An Uncharted Area?”
- The ICC (UK) Official Energy Handbook, “How RPS Programs Are Being Developed in the US”
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rates for Very High to Preeminent Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- ALM Top Rated in the Field of Energy, Environmental, and Natural Resources for Energy and Regulatory
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Of Counsel
- National Grid USA Service Company, Attorney
- Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation, Assistant General Counsel, Attorney