Kelly additionally assists clients with Article 17-A and Article 81 guardianships to help care for those with personal- or property-management needs. She provides clients with necessary estate-planning documents, including wills, trusts, powers of attorney, and health care proxies, and she guides clients through the transfer of adult guardianships from one state to another.
- Counseled clients through the transfer of substantial non-qualified funds and a home into an income-only grantor trust to ultimately preserve the assets from long-term-care costs and to ensure they would be able to leave a legacy to their children upon passing.
- Successfully applied for and obtained Community Medicaid-covered aide services to provide relief to a husband who had been caring for his wife for five years. His wife’s care needs were increasing, and he faced the decision of spending their remaining assets on aides or placing her in a nursing home. Protected the couple’s assets from the wife’s health care costs, allowing her to stay in her home for the remainder of her life.
- Helped a client obtain Chronic Care Medicaid to cover nursing-home bills for her husband, even though the county Department of Social Services was trying to deny benefits due to a prior gift. Successfully convinced the county that the gift was not for the purposes of obtaining Medicaid.
- Helped a client transfer assets to a third-party supplemental needs trust to provide for a child with disabilities instead of spending all of his assets on his nursing-home bills.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D.
- State University of New York at Fredonia, B.A.
- New York
- Monroe County Bar Association, Trust and Estates Council Member
- New York State Bar Association
- Barclay Damon’s Women’s Forum
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys
- National Business Institute, “Medicaid Lookback Rules and Planning” CLE
- Lacy Katzen LLP, Associate