Jon serves as Barclay Damon’s Commercial Litigation Practice Area co-chair and Compensation Committee chair and previously served as the firm’s associate partner. A trial attorney with over 25 years of litigation experience in state and federal courts, administrative and regulatory forums, arbitration, and other forms of alternative dispute resolution, Jon handles a wide array of complex commercial and real estate litigation matters.
Jon prosecutes and defends claims involving business contracts, partnership agreements, shareholder interests, corporate dissolution, financial disputes, and other business interests. He also draws upon his early training as an assistant district attorney to investigate, prosecute, and defend matters involving corporate claims for damages and asset recovery for employee deceit, misconduct, and fraud. His clients include public and private companies, regulated entities, sole-member and closely held businesses, and individuals.
In real estate matters, Jon represents title insurers, title agencies, land-use organizations, member associations, and individuals in disputes concerning real estate interests. He regularly handles actions involving title to real property, boundary disagreements, easements and land-use rights, waterfront interests, and timber disputes.
- Represents government interests in multi-jurisdiction Native American land claims.
- Represents multinational telecommunication companies in contract disputes and constitutional challenges to prohibitive regulatory codes.
- Represents regulated utilities in the prosecution and defense of multi-million contract claims and business disputes.
- Represented a $10 million trust and fiduciary in contested accounting and decanting proceedings.
- Represented a historic foundation in legal proceedings involving title, possession, and deaccessioning claims on a Thomas Cole master painting.
- Represented a Fortune 100 defense contractor in defense-of-contract action and the prosecution of counterclaims.
- Defended a class-action lawsuit for a major NYC retailer.
- Prosecuted a lawsuit for a multinational manufacturer to recover business opportunity and other losses.
- Prosecuted fraud, waste, and corporate malfeasance claims in derivative action, leading to a multi-million settlement.
- Defended shareholder-derivative action for a major manufacturer, leading to case dismissal.
- Defended a franchisee against an automobile manufacturer in termination action.
- Defended a class-action lawsuit seeking to block a bank merger.
- St. John's University School of Law, J.D., 1990
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.A., 1987
- New York, 1991
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- Onondaga County Bar Association, Board of Directors Member
- Boys & Girls Club of Syracuse, Executive Board Member
- United Way Policy Council for Success by Six, Legislative Team Chair
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Commercial Litigation, 2019
- Selected to Super Lawyers Upstate New York: Business Litigation, 2009-2018
- Chambers USA: Litigation - General Commercial (Upstate New York), 2015-2018
- Onondaga County Bar Association, Local Pro Bono Award, 2012
- Barclay Damon, Clifford H. Wilson Award for Excellence in Mentoring
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- Westchester County, New York, Assistant District Attorney