Advising clients on compliance matters is a large component of his practice. John serves as corporate counsel to a number of for-profit and not-for-profit corporations, development corporations, educational institutions, and charter schools and works closely with board members and officers in developing and overseeing corporate-compliance programs in areas such as ethics, laws governing public authorities, antitrust, and other corporate-governance issues.
John additionally assists physicians and other health care providers in forming and structuring partner relationships, negotiating and consummating practice acquisitions and sales, and providing general advice on day-to-day business issues. John also assists businesses in complying with all applicable state and federal election laws, rules, and regulations. John regularly advises businesses on matters associated with state and federal political activities, including campaign finance rules and regulations, forming political action committees, and troubleshooting election-law compliance issues.
- Represents various local development corporations in negotiating and structuring early-stage equity investments in start-up companies.
- Represents businesses in various corporate transactions, including negotiating and drafting license agreements, distributor agreements, sales-representative agreements, manufacturing-supply agreements, terms and conditions of purchase and sale, and other corporate and contractual matters.
- Represents local universities in negotiating and partnering with overseas programs for offering educational programs abroad.
- Serves as general counsel to various charter schools, advising on an assortment of matters ranging from fiduciary obligations to education-law compliance.
- Represented a leading provider of innovative instrumentation processes in the acquisition of a multi-million environmental-sensors product line.
- Represented a critical-sensor technology company in the acquisition of a specialized environmental-detection business.
- Represented a technology company in the acquisition of an advanced manufacturing software and consulting services business.
- Represented one of the nation’s largest independent professional health administrators in the formation of an insurance company.
- Represented and formed numerous not-for-profit corporations, including successfully obtaining qualification under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Represented corporations and trade associations in forming state and federal political action committees and complying with applicable election laws.
- Represented a health care group in the refinancing of a multi-million loan transaction.
- Represented a physician in negotiating his departure from a large health care practice, including advising on noncompetition restrictions.
- Represented dentists, nurse practitioners, and audiologists in business incorporations and acquisitions of other practices.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1999
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.A., cum laude, 1996
- New York, 2000
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association Mock Trial Competition, Volunteer
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner