With over 25 years of legal experience trying cases before juries in state and federal courts and arguing before state and federal appellate courts, John primarily concentrates his practice on complex commercial litigation with an emphasis in products liability, employment, toxic tort, and business litigation matters. He represents manufacturing, automotive, hospitality, pharmaceutical, chemical, consumer goods, and financial services companies in matters involving personal injury, property damage, discrimination, trade secrets, corporate governance, real estate, financial products, and others.
His litigation experience also spans product-defect cases involving automotive, pharmaceutical, alcohol, personal care, food, and toy products. He has a significant background handling mass-tort actions involving claimed exposure to asbestos, chemical, silica, and tobacco products. John has served as national coordinating counsel for a number of asbestos defendants for whom he has developed, instituted, and managed comprehensive defense strategies and closely coordinated the work of liaison counsel throughout the country.
In addition, John has litigated cases under the Defend Trade Secrets Act and related state and common law provisions, including obtaining injunctive relief. He defends companies of all sizes against fraud, negligence, and breach of fiduciary duty claims in the financial services, securities, consulting, and insurance contexts. John also defends large and mid-size companies against employment discrimination and harassment claims.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order against former employees and their new employer precluding the solicitation of customers of their former employer.
- Defended an automotive-products supplier against more than 75,000 asbestos-related personal- injury claims nationwide.
- Orchestrated successful corporate defense strategies for a client, resulting in multiple defense verdicts.
- Defended a muffler manufacturer in a vehicle fire case in New York State involving extensive third-degree burns to a father and son, winning summary judgment dismissing the plaintiffs’ manufacturing and design-defect claims.
- Defended a manufacturer of axles used in car carriers in an action in New York State alleging the axles were defective and caused extensive damage, obtaining dismissal of the action before discovery based on the economic loss doctrine.
- Defended a supplier of tubular steel used to fabricate drive shafts in a vehicle fire case in New Jersey involving the death of one passenger and significant third-degree burns to another, securing a dismissal for the client based on a latent defect argument.
- Defended a CEO of a major mutual-fund company against federal and state criminal charges as well as multi-district civil complaints arising out of mutual fund market-timing investigations.
- Defended a truck-axle manufacturer in consolidated wheel-separation lawsuits in New York State alleging defective design and manufacture, negotiating for the dismissal of the actions based on evidence uncovered from third parties in aggressive discovery maneuvers.
- Defended a manufacturer in an employee’s intentional tort action involving a workplace exposure injury in Ohio, successfully arguing a summary judgment motion and obtaining dismissal at the trial court level.
- Defended an automobile brake manufacturer against a successor-liability claim in Florida, winning a pre-trial motion excluding virtually all of the plaintiff’s evidence against the client, which led to an immediate dismissal of the claim.
- Prosecuted a product-defect claim on behalf of a fragrance distributor against a manufacturer of pump-spray mechanisms in Connecticut, obtaining a multi-million settlement.
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 1993
- Amherst College, B.A., 1990
- New York, 1994
- New Jersey, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of New York
- Defense Research Institute
- Hackley School, Board of Trustees President
- University Club, House Committee Member and Former Officer
- Perrin National Asbestos Conference, “Ethical Issues Confronting Attorneys”
- Perrin New York City Asbestos Conference, “Recent Developments”
- American Bar Association TIPS Section, “Cutting Edge Issues”
- Defense Research Institute Asbestos Conference
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated for Very High to Preeminent Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Hawkins Parnell Thackston & Young LLP, Partner
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP, Partner
- Whitman Breed Abbott & Morgan, Associate