Jeff is Barclay Damon’s Regulatory Practice Group leader, Telecommunications Practice Area chair, and Project Development Practice Area co-chair. In his legal practice, he focuses primarily on large-scale development projects including renewable energy, telecommunications network development, and environmental compliance and enforcement matters. Jeff works with clients’ development goals and business plans to define project incentives and the development project-build process. He concentrates on large-scale projects, including commercial development, renewable energy, lifestyle developments, and commercial greenhouses.
Jeff’s telecommunications experience spans zoning, permitting, regulatory compliance, project siting, and project management for wireless communications facilities. He represents telecommunications-tower companies, wireless-telephone providers, personal communications-service (PCS) providers, and major telephone companies in a variety of infrastructure-development projects across New York and Vermont.
Jeff delivers strategic advice and zoning and permitting approaches to achieve aggressive development schedules in the highly competitive wireless communications field. He also serves as the national zoning-compliance legal planner for a major PCS wireless provider. Jeff has niche experience in zoning and siting complex development projects, including wireless infrastructure in the Adirondack Park.
Jeff is also one of the primary points of contact for the firm’s largest Environmental Practice Area clients, advising on resolving liability and minimizing financial exposure involving contaminated sites. He has extensive experience with complex Superfund sites involving contaminated soils, sediments, and waterways as well as the identification of third parties and sources and natural resource damages (NRD). Jeff represents clients in regulatory-compliance issues and in the enforcement of federal environmental regulations and state counterparts, including the Clean Water Act (CWA), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), the Toxic Substances and Control Act (TSCA), the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), and the State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA).
- Represented a wind-farm development in replacing nana cells, gearboxes, and blades at an existing wind facility, resulting in increased overall heights.
- Represents a leading North American greenhouse vegetable company in developing a 110-acre underglass enclosed greenhouse, including SEQRA compliance, zoning applications, and project incentives through an industrial development agency.
- Represented a national wireless carrier in developing its network in the Adirondack Park, completing over 24 sites in 18 months.
- Represents a national tower companies in aggressive build-suit development across New York State for a national wireless carrier.
- Represents a client on its status as a potentially responsible party (PRP) at the Onondaga Lake NPL site in Syracuse, New York, one of the largest lake Superfund sites in the country. This is a complex site involving over 100 years of industrial and municipal discharges to the lake; multiple PRPs and sources; several upland and tributary subsites; and several federal and state regulatory agencies, including the NYSDEC, the EPA, the DOJ, and the US FWS. Represents the company in settlement negotiations with the major responsible party over the allocation of costs for the remediation of lake sediments and NRD issues asserted by federal and state trustees as well as with NYSDEC and the EPA as part of PRP groups formed to address NPL subsite and past cost demands.
- Represents a major petroleum distributor and retailer in the Northeast on multiple locations across New York State on compliance with petroleum bulk-storage and spill regulations and the negotiation of administrative settlements with the NYSDEC.
- Vermont Law School, J.D., Vermont Law Review, 2000
- State University of New York, College of Environmental Science and Forestry, B.S., magna cum laude, 1996
- New York, 2001
- New York State Bar Association
- Martindale-Hubbell BV Peer Review Rated for High to Very High Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner