Jeff serves as Barclay Damon’s Restructuring, Bankruptcy & Creditors’ Rights Practice Area co-chair. With over 30 years practicing commercial law, Jeff counsels clients on matters involving restructuring and bankruptcies, business rights, creditor remedies, and corporate obligations. He additionally negotiates and litigates financing facilities, stay-relief proceedings, Section 363 sales, reorganization and liquidation strategies, and contested confirmation hearings.
Jeff regularly appears in bankruptcy courts in the Western and Northern Districts of New York, and represents both plaintiffs and defendants in fraudulent transfer and preference proceedings. He has argued cases before the Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and has petitioned the US Supreme Court in support of and against review of lower-court decisions.
Jeff’s clients include health care facilities, multistate department-store and supermarket chains, regional agricultural cooperatives, regional airlines, and telecommunications enterprises. He also represents secured creditors, debtor-in-possession lenders, manufacturing conglomerates, alternative-energy producers, real estate developments, and recreational enterprises.
Jeff has also served as a trustee and as special conflicts counsel in Chapter 11 cases.
- Represented a WNY regional health care facility, including a hospital and multiple off-campus clinics, in a successful Chapter 11 restructuring.
- Represented a CNY electrical-systems manufacturing and distribution company in a Chapter 11 filed to promote a sale of the company’s assets. The Section 363 sale was approved by the court and closed within 45 days of the petition date.
- Represented a national franchisor in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of its largest franchisee. After extensive litigation, a settlement was achieved with the support of all secured creditors, the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors, the debtor, and the manager of the franchisee’s sole member.
- Represented an upstate NY lender in Southern District of New York bankruptcy cases of related borrowers having pledged collateral in New York City and New Hampshire. Successfully obtained relief from the automatic stay to permit the foreclosure of the lender’s interests in the collateral while working cooperatively with the trustees to maximize the recovery for the borrowers’ estates.
- Served as co-counsel for a major Northeastern agricultural cooperative in its Chapter 11 case. Navigated significant obstacles that included unliquidated self-insured retention obligations for workers’ compensation, general-liability insurance carriers, and trailing environmental clean-up obligations. The plan was confirmed in under 24 months, and the liquidating trust established under the plan ultimately paid a dividend of over 70 percent of unsecured claims.
- Represented an operator and a secured lender to a developer of multiple hydroelectric projects in litigation with the developer. The litigation included actions in the US District Court and US Bankruptcy Court and involved multiple trips to the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. After 15 years of litigation, the case was consensually resolved through the bankruptcy court approving the sale of all facilities.
- Represented the successful strategic buyer in a Section 363 auction of a paper mill.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D.
- Middlebury College, B.A., cum laude
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Central New York Bankruptcy Bar Association, Founding Member and Former President
- New York State Bar Association
- Northern District of New York Federal Court Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Central New York Veterans Recognition Foundation, Founder and Board Member
- Operation Christmas Hope, Board Member
- Central New York Bankruptcy Bar Association
- National Business Institute
- New York State Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2009-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Syracuse Lawyer of the Year, Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2017, 2019
- Selected to Super Lawyers Upstate New York: Bankruptcy Business, 2007-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated for Very High to Preeminent Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Menter, Rudin & Trivelpiece, P.C., CEO
- Menter, Rudin & Trivelpiece, P.C., President
- Menter, Rudin & Trivelpiece, P.C., Shareholder