In Jim’s white collar practice, he defends high-net-worth individuals and businesses against investigations conducted by the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance, the US Department of Justice, the Department of Homeland Security, state attorneys general, local district attorneys, and various other state and federal agencies.
Jim also represents clients in matters involving regulatory conformity, “whistle blower” litigation, section 807 labor disputes, mass-tort lawsuits, and enforcing noncompetition covenants.
- Defended the Board of Education for the Buffalo City School District in a suit brought by a charter school regarding student busing. The matter involved questions of contractual interpretation, equal protection, due process, and education-law interpretation. Successfully turned a temporary loss into a high six-figure win after an effective appeal.
- Successfully defended a business and its owner against allegations of tax fraud relating to NYS personal income taxes.
- Coordinated and lead the defense of Fortune 500 clients as regional and local counsel in numerous wrongful-death and injury claims brought by asbestos plaintiffs.
- Represented a local real estate developer to prevent a predatory eviction, successfully thwarting attempts of a rival developer by having the foreclosure action dismissed.
- Protected several family-owned businesses against hostile takeover attempts, preserving the majority owners’ interests.
- Albany Law School of Union University, J.D., 1994
- Alleghany College, B.A., 1991
- New York, 1995
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court
- Bar Association of Erie County
- New York State Bar Association
- Buffalo Police Athletic League, Vice President
- Amherst Police Foundation, Member
- Hodgson Russ LLP Tax Institute Seminar Series, “Criminal Tax Practice/Asset Protection”
- National Business Institute, “Preparing to Settle Personal Injury Claims in New York”
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- Hodgson Russ LLP, Partner
- Phillips Lytle LLP, Associate
- Law Office of Alan D. Goldstein, Esq., Associate