The Avant Building
200 Delaware Avenue
Buffalo, New York 14202
1325 G Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20005
Jim is an experienced trial lawyer in both federal and state courts and before administrative agencies. He is also Barclay Damon’s Construction & Surety Practice Area chair. Jim primarily concentrates his practice on large construction disputes, complex commercial and municipal litigation, employer defense, and counseling on labor, employment, and discrimination matters.
- Represents businesses, including pharmaceutical companies, manufacturers, hospitality enterprises, and private-equity investment firms in contract disputes and commercial litigation.
- Defends municipalities regarding claims brought against government and law enforcement.
- Counsels a large regional retail enterprise on employment-law issues and defends the company in court and before administrative agencies.
- Represents public and private owners and contractors in construction disputes involving large projects, including sewage treatment plants, historic renovations, commercial buildings, and airport and highway projects.
- Represents universities and other higher education institutions in construction contract, project, and litigation matters.
- Represents a manufacturer regarding employment law and safety issues at two large manufacturing facilities.
- Represented the federal government in a major lease dispute arising from a federal statute enacted relating to the savings-and-loan crisis.
- Represented a specialty contractor in a construction dispute involving a domed roof at the Montreal Olympic Stadium.
- Defended a contractor regarding a construction-defect and mold claim brought by an owner regarding a university-housing construction project.
- Represented an engineering firm regarding a construction-cost-overrun dispute involving a major redesign and construction of a steel-blast furnace.
- Defended municipalities and law enforcement in class-action lawsuits involving search-and-seizure claims.