Jim serves as Barclay Damon’s Corporate Practice Area co-chair and co-team leader of the manufacturing team. With over 35 years of experience handling commercial, corporate, and finance law matters, he primarily concentrates his practice on commercial and corporate transactions such as mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures; commercial lending transactions on behalf of investors, lenders, and borrowers; and various other commercial transactions. He has substantial experience representing companies involved in technology commercialization, renewable energy, health care, and hospitality industries.
Jim acts as lead, local, sole, and general outside counsel for individuals and privately and publicly held companies, ranging from sole proprietorships to publicly held multinational corporations, in formations, corporate maintenance, and a wide range of transactional matters.
To provide the most comprehensive services possible to clients, Jim frequently teams with attorneys in the Tax, Real Estate, Environmental, Regulatory, and Intellectual Property Practice Areas.
- Represented and continues to represent a major North American-based developer, owner, and operator of hydroelectric facilities in conjunction with acquisitions throughout the United States.
- Represented a NYC-based developer, owner, and operator of nursing homes in conjunction with numerous acquisitions in the NY metro area as well as a NYC-based owner and operator of post-acute health care facilities in conjunction with numerous acquisitions in Upstate New York.
- Represents a Midwest venture-capital firm regarding financing, including traditional borrowing and subordinate positions supporting a natural-food holding company and its operating subsidiaries.
- Represents foreign-based investors in a domestic co-generation facility in conjunction with restructuring investments.
- Represents various portfolio companies owned and managed by an Ithaca-based investor that creates and implements cutting-edge intellectual property platforms into successful technology-based businesses in conjunction with structure, operations, financing, and various operational matters.
- Working with in-house counsel, represented a national manufacturer of medical devices in negotiating and consummating the sale of various segments of its business.
- Represents minority shareholders and employees of a business-documentation company in negotiating a leveraged buyout with existing shareholders, as well as required financing.
- Assisted an international utility in preparing loan documentation in furtherance of the emergency economic-loan program approved by the NYS Public Service Commission.
- Represents a large developer in project-specific acquisitions and financing matters, including construction, permanent and historic tax-credit financing, commercial lease negotiations, franchising, and other construction and operational matters.
- Represented a regional printing company and its principals in negotiating the turnover of operating assets to a secured lender, restructuring the remaining indebtedness, and negotiating various agreements, including employment and lease agreements, with the ultimate purchaser.
- Represented an Atlanta-based hotel owner and operator in conjunction with sale of various Upstate NY facilities.
- Represented a leading national distributor of branded consumer electronic goods to address succession issues through the granting of profits interest and in refinancing with the lender group.
- Albany Law School of Union University, J.D., 1979
- LeMoyne College, B.S., 1975
- New York, 1980
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- New York State Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Frequent lecturer for legal and trade associations on corporate matters, financing, and other issues, including recent presentations regarding financing, IP, and venture capital issues for start-ups at MedTech 2018 and regarding alternative-dispute resolution alternatives to various national corporate clients.
- White New York Business Entities, Board of Editors Member
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Corporate Law, 2013-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Syracuse Lawyer of the Year, Corporate Law, 2015
- Chambers USA, Upstate New York: Corporate/M&A, 2015-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell BV Peer Review Rated for High to Very High Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- Hancock & Estabrook, LLP, Partner
- Ernst & Ernst LLP, Accountant