Ivan advises conventional and renewable energy generation clients on the effects of regulatory and environmental requirements. He has experience conducting due-diligence review of existing and planned projects as well as providing relevant regulatory guidance for new projects being developed and proposed in New York State and throughout the country. Ivan’s experience includes providing counsel on threatened and endangered species matters; addressing wildlife importation issues; and performing environmental, regulatory, and permitting review and due diligence.
Ivan also assists clients with real-property-tax matters at the state and local level in numerous states, including providing guidance on valuation, assisting with payment-in-lieu-of-tax (PILOT) agreements, and representing clients in disputes with local and state taxing jurisdictions.
- Represents one of the largest renewable energy companies in the United States in handling property-tax issues related to its ownership of solar and wind facilities throughout the nation, including in New York, Illinois, Vermont, Maine, Arizona, North Carolina, and California.
- Providing environmental, energy, land use, local permitting, and federal production tax-credit guidance to one of the largest renewable energy companies in the United States regarding their replacement and improvement of several wind energy projects in New York State.
- Provides local and state real-property-tax guidance to a private entity operating several conventional energy-peaking and base-load plants throughout New Hampshire.
- Provided environmental, energy, land use, and local permitting due-diligence review for a tax equity investor’s investment in a large wind farm project.
- Provided environmental, energy, land use, and local permitting due-diligence review for a series of solar farm projects throughout New York State.
- Vermont Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
- University of Toronto, B.S.
- New York State Bar Association
- Seven Generations of Stewards, Board Member
- American Bar Association Environment, Energy, and Resources Section Year in Review, Environmental Disclosures, Co-Author
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Medal of Excellence, 2017
- Vermont Law School, Academic Excellence Awards in Bankruptcy, Energy, Negotiation, Public Law, Regulation, and Secured Transactions
- Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP, Summer Associate
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit to the Honorable Peter Hall, Judicial Extern
- NYS Attorney General, Environmental Protection Bureau, Legal Intern
- Giesecke & Devrient America, Inc., Legal Intern
- Hart House Investment Fund, University of Toronto, Senior Analyst for Metals & Mining
- Suncor Energy, Inc., Operations Engineering Co-Op
- Suncor Energy, Inc., Mine Heavy Equipment Operator