A former US Ambassador to El Salvador and a former long-time NYS Senator, Doug has practiced with the firm that bears his name for over 50 years, concentrating on banking and administrative law. As counsel to individuals and corporations, Doug is involved in a myriad of legal and governmental issues and is well positioned to advise clients on local, state, national, and international issues. He also has extensive experience with criminal-justice and court-reform legislation.
As a founding director and former general counsel to KeyCorp, a regional bank-holding company, Doug actively participated in its growth from $1 billion in assets to $100 billion. He has additionally served as director, officer, and general counsel to other local and listed stock-exchange corporations.
- As US Ambassador to El Salvador, participated in the successful negotiation with El Salvador, the first country to join the Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA).
- Negotiated with the Rockefeller Administration, sponsored and passed in the NY Senate the Urban Development Corporation (UDC) legislation, now the Empire State Development Corporation (ESD).
- Served as general counsel to KeyCorp, participating in many bank acquisitions, especially in Alaska, Maine, New York, and Washington.
- Participated in taking Syracuse Supply private.
- Participated in acquiring two German companies for Syracuse Supply.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D.
- Yale University, B.A.
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Oswego County Bar Association
- Council of American Ambassadors
- NYS Senate, Former Chairman of the Senate Codes Committee and Chairman of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary
- Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC), Former Board of Directors Member Appointed by President George H.W. Bush
- Conciliators of the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), Former Panel Member Appointed by President George W. Bush
- Syracuse University, Board of Trustees Chair and Life Trustee
- NYS Department of Economic Development, Former Power Allocation Board Member
- New York Racing Association (NYRA), Former Trustee
- Clarkson University, Former Board of Trustees Member
- Metropolitan Development Association (MDA), Former President
- El Salvadorian Infantry Battalion – Iraq, “2006 Christmas Address"
- Iraq to Salvador Radio Message, “2006 Christmas Address”
- Republic of El Salvador, Orden Nacional José Matias Delgado en el Grado de Gran Cruze de Plata, 2007
- Honorary Doctorate from Le Moyne College, 2006; Syracuse University, 1998; Clarkson University, 1981; St. Lawrence University, 1982; State University of New York, 1980
- Clarkson University, Bertrand S. Snell Award, 1987
- Syracuse University, George Arents Pioneer Medal for Excellence in Law and Public Service, 1984
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated for Very High to Preeminent Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- US Ambassador to the Republic of El Salvador
- KeyCorp, General Counsel, Secretary, and Board of Directors and Executive Committee Member
Syracuse Supply, Empire Airlines, Syracuse China, Giant Portland & Masonry Cement Company, Coradian Corporation, Mohawk Airlines and Excelsior Insurance Company, Board of Directors Member
- New York State Senate, Senator (1965-1984)
- US Army, Korea, Artillery Officer (1956-1957)