Gretchen is Barclay Damon’s Immigration Practice Area chair. In immigration law matters, she primarily represents individuals, health care facilities, American and Canadian companies, and multinational corporations.
Gretchen has extensive experience counseling US health care clients regarding the employment of foreign physicians and research scientists, and in North American Free Trade Agreement-based business immigration issues. She helps clients obtain nonimmigrant and immigrant visas, including L-1 intra-company transferee and O-1 outstanding ability visas, and files visa applications with US consulates in foreign countries.
She also files applications for employment and family-based immigration with the US Citizenship and Immigration Service and provides legal representation to US permanent residents applying for citizenship.
- Obtained a J waiver for a foreign physician, allowing him to remain in the United States and work for a large cancer-research and treatment facility without having to complete a two-year home-return requirement. Only 30 of these waivers are available annually in New York State.
- Obtained a J-1 waiver for a foreign physician, allowing him to remain in the United States and work as an orthopedic surgeon for a large hospital system in Western New York without having to complete a two-year home-return requirement.
- Obtained approval of a Blanket L-1 petition for a large multinational company, allowing it to expeditiously transfer critical foreign employees to related US facilities.
- Defended a convenience-store chain in a criminal investigation by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation.
- University at Buffalo School of Law, J.D., Buffalo Law Review, senior editor
- State University of New York at Buffalo, B.A., cum laude
- New York
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of Erie County
- New York State Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York
- Barclay Damon Women’s Forum
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- University at Buffalo School of Law GOLD Group, Former President
- Buffalo Prep, Former Board of Directors Member
- Kaleida Foundation, Former Board of Directors Member
- Tapestry Charter School, Former Board of Trustees Member
- Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, Former Women’s Committee Member
- Canadian General Consulate Office, "New Exporters: Border States"
- Canadian General Consulate Office, "US Immigration Issues"
- Lectures on immigration to international students at local universities.
- Buffalo Business First, “Buffalo-Area Immigration Lawyers See Range of Issues Stemming From Washington,” Quoted
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Of Counsel
- Phillips Lytle LLP, Of Counsel
- Griffith & Yost, Associate