Garrett represents governmental bond issuers, underwriters, banks, and borrowers in public finance and project finance transactions. He serves governmental entities as bond counsel, and he has served as tax counsel in tax-exempt financings and disclosure counsel in public offerings. He has represented both regional and national underwriters in public offerings and private placements. Garrett also represents clients in public and project financing transactions, including banks acting as lenders and as providers of letters-of-credit as credit enhancement.
Garrett has served as bond counsel for state agencies and local governments in tax-exempt financings of their capital needs and the capital needs of eligible private entities and projects, including education, health care, affordable housing, and community service not-for-profits. He has also assisted for-profit affordable-housing developers, qualifying small-issue manufacturers, and others qualifying for tax-exempt financing under federal tax law.
Garrett has represented underwriters and bond issuers as disclosure counsel in public-finance transactions presenting unique disclosure challenges, including project financings, securitizations of government receipts from tobacco manufacturers under the master settlement agreement, state-agency-pooled financings for multiple municipalities, and financings by financially stressed governmental units. He has extensive experience representing underwriters in governmental-agency financings for universities and colleges, hospitals, and not-for-profit entities serving other charitable purposes.
In representing developers and borrowers, Garrett uses his experience as former in-house counsel to assist solid-waste-management facility developers, including large regional waste-to-energy facilities. He has also participated in financings for both gas and hydro-powered electric-generating facilities.
- Albany Law School of Union University, J.D., cum laude, 1977
- Hope College, B.A., 1972
- New York, 1978
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- New York State Bar Association, Municipal Law Section
- National Association of Bond Lawyers, Former Bond Attorneys’ Steering Committee Member
- Northeast Parent and Child Society, Former Board of Directors Member
- First Presbyterian Church, Former Elder
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated for Very High to Preeminent Ethical Standards and Legal Ability, 1999-2019
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- Energy Answers Corporation, General Counsel
- DeGraff, Wilson & Ralston, Partner
- Krolick & DeGraff, Partner