Amy primarily concentrates her practice on representing businesses, energy and utility clients, and individuals in real property tax, eminent domain, and land use disputes. She routinely assists energy and utility clients in negotiating tax-assessment reductions, resulting in substantial real property tax savings. Amy also routinely advises clients on defending eminent domain proceedings, from preliminary hearing stages to litigation involving the acquisition of real property interests, trade fixtures, and leasehold rights.
Amy also represents health care not-for-profits, including agencies serving individuals with developmental disabilities, mental illnesses, and alcohol- and other substance-use disorders. She routinely counsels health care clients who are responding to Medicaid and other government investigations and audits as well as related employment and contract matters.
- Regularly represents owners of renewable energy assets nationwide with compliance and real property tax matters.
- Obtained millions in property tax refunds as a result of negotiations and settling property tax assessment proceedings against municipalities who excessively assess utility property in New York, Massachusetts, Maine, Utah and California.
- Represented a major utility in a real property tax dispute, resulting in $7 million in real property tax refunds.
- Represents several large not-for-profit agencies serving individuals with developmental disabilities. Matters include real estate development and financing and defending agencies under Medicaid audits by the Office of Medicaid Inspector General (OMIG) and the Office of People With Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD).
- Represents an industrial development agency in acquiring lease interests of various mall tenants and defending against claims for compensation in an eminent-domain proceeding to support a multi-billion economic-revitalization project in Central New York.
- Represented a municipality in acquiring a parking garage by eminent domain for reconstruction and to support a public project.
- Successfully obtained verdicts against two correction officers in a pro bono §1983 civil rights action involving the violation of a prisoner’s constitutional rights.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 2002
- LeMoyne College, B.A., 1999
- New York, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- Central New York Women’s Bar Association, Board of Directors Member
- New York State Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York
- Barclay Damon’s Women’s Forum
- David’s Refuge, Inc., Board of Directors Member
- United Way of Central New York, Former Firm Campaign Coordinator
- New York State Bar Association, “Not so Fast Assessor: The Reduction or Elimination of Taxes Based on Exemptions or Environmental No No’s”
- New York State Bar Association, “Medicaid Reimbursement and the State’s Treatment of Administrative Overhead Expenses”
- New York State Bar Association, “Affordable Housing Tax Credits and Pursuing Supportive Housing Projects”
- 39th Annual ACLAIMH Conference, “Converting and ESSHI Award into a Project: Overcoming Community Opposition”
- New York State Bar Association, “Padavan Law and Lobbying”
- Selected to Super Lawyers Upstate New York Rising Stars: Energy and Real Property Tax & Condemnation, 2013-2015 and 2017
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Associate