Eileen primarily concentrates her practice on counseling clients in all aspects of estate planning and estate administration, including business-succession planning, asset preservation, special-needs planning, and tax planning. She also has extensive experience counseling business owners regarding closely held businesses, including drafting complex operating and shareholder agreements, representing both purchasers and sellers in the sale and acquisition of businesses, preparing ownership-transition plans, and handling general business issues.
Eileen has counseled high-net-worth individuals and organizations such as family limited-liability companies in sophisticated estate-planning techniques, including charitable planning, life-insurance trusts, qualified personal-residence trusts, and grantor-retained annuity trusts. Her experience also includes the administration of estates of all sizes, including informal and judicial settlements, preparing estate- and gift-tax returns and disclaimers, and post-mortem tax planning. Eileen also has significant experience in Surrogate’s Court in contested accountings and probate proceedings.
- Represented a large, regional restaurant chain in a sale to a large venture-capital firm.
- Received a favorable private letter from the Internal Revenue Service ruling a not-for-profit environmental company regarding a change of exempt purpose.
- Represented several closely held businesses in producing due diligence, disclosure schedules, and negotiating documents.
- Prepared an application to the IRS to obtain tax-exempt status for a charitable foundation being formed by a large utility company.
- Represented a complicated and contentious estate in the administration and filing of a large estate-tax return.
- Represented a large transportation company in an income-tax audit spanning four tax years.
- Represented a venture-capital firm in the purchase of a niche baked-goods manufacturer.
- Represented a trustee in ongoing litigation for breach of fiduciary duty regarding a trust with over $40 million in assets.
- Represented a large commercial construction company in its sale to a Rochester company, reviewed all due diligence, and drafted disclosure schedules.
- Represented a medical-device manufacturer in the sale of two lighting divisions to two different buyers.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Executive Editor, Syracuse Law Review, 2004
- Boston University, B.A., cum laude, 1998
- New York, 2005
- New York State Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Barclay Damon Women's Forum
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Associate
- Hancock & Estabrook, LLP, Associate