Meghan concentrates her practice on defending clients against toxic exposure, products liability, and general negligence claims, from investigation and pre-trial discovery to depositions, motion practice, settlement, trial preparation, and appeals. She represents individuals and businesses such as homeowners and commercial property owners, property managers, service providers, product manufacturers, suppliers, and contractors.
Meghan handles cases in counties throughout New York State and is familiar with the nuances of local practice, most notably in asbestos litigation. She regularly counsels clients and insurance carriers on the intricacies of unique state rules related to the apportionment of liability and damages.
In addition to her own practice, Meghan oversees the Buffalo office Diversity 1L Summer Associate Program as recruitment liaison and is also a member of the Buffalo office diversity leadership team and the firm’s Associate Integration Committee.
- Regularly conducts depositions of plaintiffs, defendants, and non-party witnesses in general negligence, asbestos, and lead-paint claims.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a property owner to dismiss a claim of toxic lead exposure based on lack of notice and successfully defended the subsequent appeal by the plaintiff to the NYS Appellate Division and Court of Appeals.
- Secured a voluntary dismissal of an asbestos matter on behalf of an uninsured client on successor-liability grounds based on the analysis of historical corporate documents, contracts, and government filings. As a result, the client avoided the cost of motion practice and further litigation and is now well positioned to prevent and quickly defend against future claims.
- Successfully negotiated with insurance carriers and their insureds to pay for the defense and indemnification of several clients based on the analysis of contracts, leases, and insurance-coverage issues, resulting in significant cost savings to the clients.
- Obtained a voluntary dismissal on behalf of a small local contractor in a high-value asbestos matter based on the investigation and analysis of local government records and consultation with local authorities.
- Regularly negotiates settlements.
- Manages post-settlement procedures for several large asbestos clients, including drafting release documents and negotiating issues related to Medicare/Medicaid liens and reporting requirements pursuant to the Medicare Secondary Payer Act, 42 USC § 1395y(b).
- Represented property owners in NYS Labor Law cases.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a large asbestos client in multiple jurisdictions.
- University at Buffalo School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2008
- Villanova University, B.A., 2005
- New York
- Bar Association of Erie County
- New York State Bar Association
- Women's Bar Association of the State of New York
- Barclay Damon’s Women’s Forum
- YWCA of WNY, Former Board of Directors Member
- Selected to Super Lawyers Upstate New York Rising Stars: Personal Injury – Products: Defense, 2017-2018
- Damon Morey LLP, Associate
- Gibson, McAskill & Crosby LLP, Associate