Debra additionally has extensive experience representing energy clients in matters involving the valuation and assessment of energy assets and infrastructure for real-property-tax purposes and related litigation. Debra handles issues involving hydroelectric, biomass, wind, and fossil-fuel electric generation; electric-transmission and distribution facilities; and supporting infrastructure such as substations. She also represents clients in eminent-domain proceedings that involve the siting of electric-transmission facilities.
Debra represents clients that include developers and owners of apartment complexes, condominium properties, golf courses, manufacturing and warehouse properties, office buildings, retail plazas, and shopping malls.
- Represents a client in real property tax assessment review proceedings involving the valuation of a 322MW wind farm.
- Secured a real property tax exemption for a not-for-profit entity, saving the owner $400,000 annually in real-property taxes.
- Obtained summary judgment under the provisions of RPTL 581-a for an owner of an affordable-housing complex.
- Negotiated numerous settlements of real property tax assessment disputes involving significant refunds.
- Defended municipalities in tax assessment review proceedings involving state-owned land, hydroelectric facilities, shopping centers, and various commercial properties.
- Represented multiple clients in real property tax assessment review proceedings involving the valuation of hydroelectric facilities located on three river systems.
- Served as counsel to numerous clients in real property tax assessment review proceedings involving the valuation of electric transmission and distribution facilities, including substations.
- Represented a client in real property tax assessment review proceedings involving exemption and valuation issues on a 600MW coal-fired steam station.
- Served as counsel to a client in real property tax-assessment review proceedings involving the valuation of a 60MW biomass-cogeneration facility.
- Represented condemnors and claimants in eminent domain proceedings related to electric-transmission property.
- Represented a client in connection with valuation issues related to a 39.5MW waste-to-energy cogeneration facility.
- Vanderbilt Law School, J.D., Vanderbilt Law Review, Editor
- Colleges of William & Mary, B.A., Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
- New York State Bar Association
- Barclay Damon’s Women’s Forum
- Christian Brothers Academy, Mock Trial Coach
- New York State Bar Association, “Real Property Tax Assessment Litigation and Appeals” CLE
- Oswego County Bar Association, “The Nuts and Bolts of Real Property Tax Assessment Challenges” CLE
- Syracuse University College of Law, “Practical Aspects of the Law of Eminent Domain”
- New York State Real Property Tax System Alliance, “Understanding Real Property Tax Assessment Review Proceedings in NYS: A Primer for Municipal Officials”
- IAO Journal, “The 1995 Amendments to the Real Property Tax Law”
- IAO Journal, “Utility Companies Challenge Local Assessments”
- The Monthly Digest of Tax Articles, “The 1988 Amendment to 26 USC Section 7430: Expanding Taxpayers’ Rights to Recover Costs in Tax Controversies”
- Menter, Rudin & Trivelpiece, P.C., Counsel
- Sidney Devorsetz, PLLC
- Hancock & Estabrook, LLP