Courtney assists clients in the acquisition, development, and financing of commercial properties and has an extensive background representing landlords and tenants in commercial-leasing negotiations for retail, office, manufacturing, and shopping-center transactions. She also provides real estate and finance counsel to clients on the sale, acquisition, and financing of big-box shopping centers throughout the East Coast. Courtney routinely provides substantive support in connection with real estate matters involving easements and rights of way, leasing, riparian rights, adverse possession, eminent domain, foreclosures, and title examination.
As examining counsel to several title-insurance companies, Courtney analyzes and examines real estate titles. Additionally, as counsel to energy-industry clients, Courtney provides guidance on land-use matters and establishing environmental easements and deed restrictions.
In addition to her own practice, Courtney serves as Barclay Damon’s Syracuse office diversity partner.
- Acted as lead real estate and financing attorney for a client’s purchase of four commercial shopping centers located in four states outside of New York State. The purchase was financed with a $21 million conduit loan and was secured by four mortgages.
- Acted as lead real estate and finance attorney in the $30 million refinance of four commercial shopping centers located in four states outside of New York State. The loan was secured by four mortgages. This financing included the defeasance of two existing loans simultaneous with the $30 million closing.
- Acted as lead real estate and finance attorney for a client’s purchase of a shopping center. The client assumed a loan from the seller and worked extensively with the lender's counsel on the loan-assumption documents.
- Acted as lead real estate and finance attorney in connection with several dozen multi-million shopping-center acquisitions and refinances, totaling over $875 million in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia, many of which contained a 1031 like-kind exchange component and the assignment of an existing mortgage.
- Provided an extensive lease examination for a client’s multi-million utility-company asset acquisition.
- Represented a utility company in establishing deed restrictions and environmental easements on dozens of former manufactured-gas plant sites, as required by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation.
- Albany Law School of Union University, J.D., Executive Editor for Lead Articles, Albany Law Review, 2006
- LeMoyne College, B.A., magna cum laude, 2003
- New York, 2007
- American Bar Association
- Central New York Women's Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Barclay Damon’s Women’s Forum
- Diocese of Syracuse Catholic Lawyers Guild
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Onondaga County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project, Family Court Clinic Volunteer
- Baltimore Woods Nature Center, Inc., Board of Directors Member
- Prevention Network, Board of Directors Secretary
- Samaritan Center, Weekly Volunteer
- HOPE for Bereaved Annual Celebration of HOPE Dinner, Planning Committee Member
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Counsel
- Windels Marx Lane & Mittendorf, LLP, Associate
- Archdiocese of New York Office of General Counsel, Summer Associate