Brenda serves as Barclay Damon’s Regulatory Practice Area co-chair and co-team leader of the renewable energy and energy markets teams. She began her career in litigation, environmental review and permitting, zoning, land use, and municipal-law matters and now primarily concentrates her practice on energy and infrastructure projects and related energy transactions. Brenda represents a wide array of clients, including renewable-energy developers and investors, electric generators, transmission line and interstate and intrastate-pipeline owners, and regulated utilities.
Brenda represents developers of transmission and generation projects in major siting and regulatory proceedings, including those involving the approval of transfer of assets and ownership interests before public-utility commissions and other administrative agencies, including the NYS Public Service Commission, FERC, DOE, and municipalities. She also represents energy-related clients in regulatory matters involving retail and wholesale-market issues and compliance with safety laws and regulations.
Brenda often counsels energy clients in the preparation and negotiation of transactional documents such as interconnection, power purchase, energy management, fuel supply, and transportation agreements. She also represents clients in all aspects of project development, including site acquisition, right-to-build and environmental issues, preparing and negotiating EPC and construction contract documents, and securing project financing and funding, including real property tax mitigation and development incentives.
In addition to her own practice, Brenda is the chair of the firm’s Wellness Committee.
- Represents a transmission owner and developer in obtaining siting approval under Public Service Law Article VII for the rebuild of transmission lines in existing right-of-way.
- Represents an energy company in obtaining siting approval under Public Service Law Article 10 for the repowering of an existing major electric-generating facility.
- Represented an energy-services company in a joint venture with a solar-facility constructor in the ownership and development of multiple community solar-energy facilities and the sale of community solar-energy facilities to solar-development companies.
- Represented various owners and developers of distributed-generation solar facilities in the preparation and negotiation of financing documents, EPC contracts, O&M agreements, interconnection agreements, and in applying to and negotiating with local industrial development agencies for real-property-tax mitigation and other incentives.
- Represented energy clients in the due diligence for and acquisition or sale of various energy projects, including solar, wind, non-renewable power facilities, transmission lines, and energy-efficiency businesses.
- Represented a regional planning authority on the cooperative procurement process in connection with the procurement of a solar developer to install, operate, and maintain multiple solar facilities on municipal land, including the review and negotiation of a template power-purchase agreement and lease.
- Represented a generation-asset owner in the development, permitting, construction, and operation of a natural-gas pipeline and plant upgrades in connection with the conversion of a coal-fueled electric-generation facility to a natural-gas-fueled facility.
- Represented a developer with respect to a petroleum-pipeline project involving environmental review, various federal and state permits, and the review of local laws for consistency.
- Represented a transmission developer with respect to the preparation of an application for an Article VII certificate before the NYS PSC for a proposed buried HVDC transmission line.
- Represented a power-generation owner in a proceeding before the NYS PSC with respect to the approval of an increase in the power rating for a generating facility in New York State.
- Represented a transmission developer in a generation-retirement contingency plan proceeding before the NYS PSC with respect to a major, buried HVDC transmission line.
- Represented a natural-gas energy company in obtaining necessary approvals from the NYS PSC for the transfer of a natural-gas pipeline to new entity, lightened regulation and the transfer of an amendment to an Article VII certificate for the natural-gas pipeline.
- University of Dayton School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1999
- Berry College, B.A., magna cum laude
- New York, 2006
- District of Columbia, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Central New York Women's Bar Association
- Energy Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association, Environmental and Energy Law Section and Public Utility Law Section
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Barclay Damon’s Women Forum
- Alliance for Clean Energy New York
- American Wind Energy Association
- Solar Energy Industries Association
- Women in Communications and Energy NY
- Greater Strathmore Neighborhood Association, Member
- Strathmore Huntley Group, Member and Historic Building Investor
- New York State Bar Association Environmental and Energy Law Section Panel, “Renewable Energy – Wind, Solar, and Offshore Wind"
- University of Maryland School of Law's Ward, Kershaw, and Minton Environmental Symposium: Rising Tides, Eroding Shores - The Legal and Policy Implications of Sea Level Rise and Coastal Erosion, "Role of Property Rights in Preventing Coastal Erosion"
- Buffalo Law Journal, “Barclay Damon Sees Future in Renewable Energy”
- Assemblywoman Pamela Hunter, Exceptional Women of Central New York Award, 2016
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner
- Gilberti Stinziano Heintz & Smith, P.C., Partner
- Gilberti Stinziano Heintz & Smith, P.C., Associate
- Marzulla Law, Associate