As a former general contractor and engineer, Alan brings deep industry knowledge in representing owners, contractors, and suppliers in various aspects of construction claims, including mechanics’ liens and construction-defect litigation. He also handles complex multidistrict products-liability litigations and defends product manufacturers in other products-liability claims.
Alan additionally has extensive experience handling transportation matters involving damage claims under the Carmack Amendment and litigation issues between shippers, freight forwarders, and carriers as well as representing municipalities in land-claim disputes with Native American tribes.
- Defended a $500,000 construction claim against a client that involved the construction of a national-chain home-improvement store in Virginia and, after a six-day bench trial, obtained a $300,000 judgment on the client’s counterclaim.
- Defended a sexual harassment and retaliation claim under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 in a federal court trial in the Southern District of New York. The trial resulted in the jury dismissing the harassment claim but finding for the plaintiff on the retaliation claim. The post-trial motion resulted in the dismissal of the retaliation claim—a decision affirmed on appeal by the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Defended a major mining company against a damages claim under Section 240 of the NY Labor Law. After a three-day trial, the jury awarded less than $100,000 in damages to the plaintiff, who suffered a fractured femur from falling in a mine.
- Represented an insurance company against a coverage claim for a construction defect in the construction of a New York City building. Obtained summary judgment dismissing the coverage claim against the client based on exclusions in the policy and a lack of notice of occurrence or notice of claim.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 1985
- University of Michigan, B.S.E., 1972
- New York, 1986
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- New York State Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section
- Defense Research Institute
- Central New York Ronald McDonald House, Board of Directors Member
- New York State Association of Towns Annual Meeting, “Why Indian Law is Important to Towns in New York”
- National Business Institute and New York State Bar Association, “Employment Law and Discrimination Issues”
- Sterling Education Services Seminar, “Human Resources Law Update in New York”
- Developing Labor Law, Contributing Editor
- New York State Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Section Newsletter, “Recent Developments Under the NY Human Rights Law, Including Reasonable Accommodation Requirements”
- Selected to Super Lawyers Upstate New York: Employment & Labor, 2007-2008 and 2011-2018
- Selected to Super Lawyers Upstate New York: Torts & Products Liability Defense, 2007-2008 and 2011-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell BV Distinguished Peer Review Rated for High to Very High Ethical Standards and Legal Ability, 1992-2018
- Hiscock & Barclay, LLP, Partner