Our attorneys are trusted by clients across industries such as energy, retail, industrial, residential, and commercial as well as by shopping center owners and developers. We assist our clients in the development, financing, leasing, and acquisition and sale of real property interests. We also have extensive experience with real estate matters specific to the energy industry that include the acquisition and development of generation and transmission facilities, renewable-energy development, oil and gas leasing in the Marcellus Shale, riparian-rights issues, and environmental easements. Additional key industry focuses include health care and student housing. Our experienced real estate professionals are highly proficient in title examination and title insurance claims matters, and our attorneys regularly prosecute and defend title disputes.
Some of our most notable recent representative matters include:
- Currently representing a commercial solar developer in the acquisition and development of multiple utility-scale solar projects in Central and Western Massachusetts.
- Represented an energy company in the acquisition of real estate rights and the resolution of title issues with a combined seven-mile natural-gas pipeline in Southern Illinois in connection with the conversion of a power plant from coal to natural-gas-fueled.
- Represented an energy company in the $70 million acquisition of three hydroelectric facilities in Maine and related financing.
- Acted as lead real estate and finance attorney in connection with dozens of multi-million shopping center acquisitions and/or refinances, many of which contained a 1031 Like-Kind Exchange component or the assignment of an existing mortgage. The collective matters totaled over $875 million in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.
- Represented a utility company in establishing deed restrictions and environmental easements on dozens of former manufactured gas plant sites, as required by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation.
- Represented a telecommunications company in all aspects of the first phase build-out of cell tower sites in Western New York, including zoning approvals, leasing, and title matters.
- Represented a real estate developer in the purchase of Rochester Tech Park with over 5 million square feet of light industrial, manufacturing, and warehouse space. The transaction included Public Service Commission approval, Empire Zone certification, and environmental-remediation issues.
- Represented a residential housing developer in local, state, and federal approvals for a 244-unit multi-family housing development, including variances and site plan approval and stormwater, state, and federal wetland permits.
Real Estate Chair