Financial Institutions & Lending
Our Financial Institutions & Lending Practice Area attorneys understand the impact of state and federal laws and regulations on financial institutions such as thrift institutions, banks, and bank holding-companies. Our experience includes bank holding-company and de novo banking institutions formation, securities regulation compliance, and in-bank securities-brokerage-operations development. We have a national reputation for successfully handling matters related to bank mergers and acquisitions, holding-company formations, corporate governance, transactions between bank and non-bank affiliates, and intrastate and interstate expansions. Our attorneys have also provided counsel to financial institutions of all sizes in connection with retaining and protecting their directors and key management personnel.
Our team routinely advises on structuring and documenting complex commercial-lending transactions, commercial and consumer real estate loans, secured transactions, electronic banking, financial institution data-processing systems, workouts, restructurings, and foreclosures. We have also represented several Canadian banks in structuring, negotiating, and closing cross-border transactions.
In addition to ensuring our clients have properly drafted loan and security agreements and supporting documentation, our financial institutions and lending attorneys explore different ways to reduce the risk of lender liability by staying up-to-date with the most recent developments in court decisions and in federal and state laws and regulations.
Below is a sampling of some of our team’s most recent matters:
- Represented a family-owned manufacturer in a private-equity injection and exit and various financing transactions and acquisitions.
- Represented an Eastern super-regional bank in a $1 billion business transfer.
- Represented a mid-Atlantic super-regional commercial bank in regional secured financing transactions.
- Represented a manufacturer in participated asset-based financing in regional secured financing transactions.
- Represented a multi-state, multi-franchise auto floor planning firm in regional secured financing transactions.
- Represented an East Coast real estate developer in regional secured financing transactions.
- Represented a Northeast multi-facility manufacturer in various local secured financing transactions.
- Represented a national real estate developer and operator in various local secured financing transactions.
- Represented a real estate developer in a historic tax credits and new market tax credits historical renovation development.
- Represented a money-services business in local, national, and international operational and regulatory compliance issues.
- Represented various municipalities in urban redevelopment projects.
- Represented a municipality in $28 million and $103 million general-obligation-bond sales.
- Represented borrowers in various local secured financing transactions.
- Represented a lender in a historic tax credit historical renovation development.
Financial Institutions & Lending Chair
Practice Area Alerts
- Examining Beneficial Ownership and Risk-Based Customer Due Diligence
- The Dodd-Frank Banking Rule Rollback Explained
- Tax Act Changes Impacting Real Estate
- New Cybersecurity Regulations May Apply to Companies that do Business with NYS Chartered Or Licensed Banks, Mortgage Bankers, Insurance Companies and Others