Our Canada/cross-border attorneys assist Canadians with the full range of US legal services they may require. We advise clients as they establish, maintain, expand, and diversify their US presence and business operations. We also represent and counsel them on dispute matters, including litigation and arbitration matters in the United States. With offices on both sides of the Canada-US border, we meet many clients in our convenient downtown Toronto office.
Our attorneys serve individuals, start-up businesses, mature companies, and large, multinational corporations, providing legal services to a broad array of Canadian clients from diverse industries, including software and IT, energy, financial, insurance and reinsurance, transportation, manufacturing, professional athletics, and more.
We provide tax counsel and advice to Canadian individuals and businesses seeking to expand operations into the United States, including choice of entity and other structuring considerations. Similarly, we provide tax planning advice to Americans seeking to expand business operations into Canada.
We have extensive experience assisting clients with matters that involve:
- Business formation and structuring, sales, and mergers and acquisitions
- Commercial litigation
- Estate planning and tax matters
- Joint ventures and strategic alliances
- Immigration, citizenship, and customs
- Insurance defense and reinsurance
- Intellectual property and licensing
- Labor and employment
- Real estate transactions
- State and local tax compliance, including sales, use, and income tax
We frequently coordinate our representation with Canadian counsel, accountants, and financial advisors to provide recommendations that meet the goals of our clients in both countries. Our Canada/cross-border attorneys routinely collaborate across practice areas, and we take the same team-oriented approach in working with Canadian counsel, accountants, and financial advisors.
Barclay Damon is proud to be a leadership member of the founding board of InvestUSA Toronto, a cross-border initiative of the US Consulate, and we have strong relationships with numerous Canadian law firms, accounting firms, financial advisors, and professional and industry groups, including Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters, the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario, the Ontario Bar Association, the Canadian Defense Lawyers, and the Law Society of Upper Canada. Many of these organizations rely on presentations by our attorneys to educate their members on current legal topics.
While we do not practice law in Canada, our clients appreciate our ability to connect them with outstanding Canadian counsel and accounting firms with whom we have excellent relationships with. Additionally, as part of our commitment to Canadian clients and their interests in expanding and developing their business and other relationships in the United States, we also have strong relationships with Consulate General of Canada in New York City and Boston as well as with the Quebec Government Office in New York City.
Canada/Cross-Border Team Leader
Practice Area Alerts
- Secondary Drug Wholesalers Get Some Relief in Federal Action Challenging VAWD-Accreditation Standards
- Medicare Shared Savings Program Version 2.0: Will the Carrot-and-Stick Approach Increase ACO Participation?
- Department of Health and Human Services Releases Cybersecurity Guidance and Resources Tailored to Health Industry
- Indemnification Provision in Alarm-Monitoring Contract Valid Despite Unresolved Questions of Fact Regarding Gross Negligence