Elder Law & Medicaid
Our team has decades of experience working with elderly or incapacitated clients, including providing counsel during the health care decision-making process. We help our clients take proactive measures to best avoid the challenging financial complications and emotional toll that long-term care and unexpected medical expenses can present to an individual or their family members.
We counsel clients on potential courses of action which include guardianships and creating durable powers of attorney, living wills, health care proxies, and revocable “living” trusts––all designed to provide care and protection for our clients and to minimize or avoid court involvement. Our team also has significant experience managing the Community Medicaid and Chronic Care Medicaid application processes, frequently assisting clients who have out-of-town children or who simply need help navigating the complex process.
In addition to our robust trusts and estates planning services, we offer our elder law and Medicaid-planning clients assistance with legal matters that include:
- Caregiver agreements
- Elder abuse and fraud recovery
- End-of-life issues
- Long-term care placements in nursing homes and life-care communities
- Medicare, Medicaid, and NYS Partnership Long-Term Care insurance policy analysis, appeals, and litigation
- Nursing-home issues, such as patient rights and quality of living
- Prepaid funeral accounts
- Spousal allowances and transfers
- Spousal impoverishment
Our elder law and Medicaid-planning attorneys are highly cognizant of the sensitive, emotionally charged nature of these matters, and we strive to make our clients feel supported and secure through transparent communication. Our team takes deep satisfaction in helping our clients obtain peace of mind with the knowledge that, because of our firm’s legal assistance, they and their families will be well cared for.
- Bob Heary Discusses Diversity and Inclusion With Buffalo Law Journal
- Four Barclay Damon Practices, Seven Partners Earn Chambers Recognition
- Barclay Damon’s Patrick Burke Honored With Daily Record Excellence in Law Award
- Tim Green Honored With Syracuse University Chancellor’s Medal
- Massachusetts Paid Family Medical Leave Law: Employer Notification Obligations
- Sweeping Amendments Impact Medicaid Fraud Control Units After 40 Years
- NYS Appellate Court Holds That Whether Provision in Construction Contract Required Additional Insured Coverage Presented Question of Fact
- The 2019-2020 NYS Budget Requires Financial Reporting for Electric Generators