Four Barclay Damon Practices, Seven Partners Earn Chambers Recognition
April 30, 2019––Barclay Damon announces four of its practice areas are recognized by Chambers USA in its 2019 directory as top-ranked in their geographical areas. They are Corporate/M&A, Labor & Employment, and Litigation: General Commercial, all in Upstate New York, and Energy: State Regulatory & Wholesale Electric Market, in New York State.
Additionally, Chambers listed the following partners as notable practitioners: Jim Canfield and Chris Greene (Corporate/M&A), Jon Devendorf and Gabe Nugent (Litigation: General Commercial), Maureen Helmer and George Pond (Energy: State Regulatory & Wholesale Electric Market), and Anne Evans (Real Estate).
About the firm’s Corporate/M&A practice, Chambers said the Barclay Damon team is “valued for its strengths across commercial transactions, tax and intercreditor agreements as well as securities concerns and business formation matters” and has extensive knowledge “in the energy and health care spheres, with impressive experience acting for multinational corporations, venture capital funds, and financial institutions.” Chambers also referenced the practice “drawing on the firm’s multidisciplinary cybersecurity team.” A client stated, “They are highly capable and the value received is excellent. They understand the objective and work as part of a team to achieve that objective.”
About the Labor & Employment practice, which was ranked for the first time this year, Chambers praised the “highly rated team” for its strengths in “employment discrimination and retaliation litigation, trade secrets and noncompetition agreements as well as employee discharge cases.” The practice’s “employment litigation and advice for clients in the hospitality, tech, manufacturing, energy, and health care sectors” were also highlighted. Numerous clients said the team “always has our best interests” and is “extremely knowledgeable and competent, very understanding, and quick to respond to our needs.”
About the Litigation: General Commercial practice, Chambers described the “strong civil litigation practice” as covering “a range of cases arising from tax, contracts, franchising, and energy disputes” and being “regularly called upon for its strengths in product liability cases and white-collar criminal defense.” Chambers additionally cited the practice for “increasingly handling risk mitigation for large clients.” A client complimented the team’s “overall professionalism and speed of response to emails and telephone inquiries, as well as their extensive experience and knowledge of the subject matter.”
About the Energy: State Regulatory & Wholesale Electric Market practice, Chambers said, “The strong team is equipped to handle the full spectrum of energy cases, from environmental and regulatory matters to M&A, land use, and public policy issues.” Chambers added that the team is “active in the oil and gas industry as well as the renewables space” and “clients benefit from the team's wealth of experience gained during various roles in public bodies.” Multiple clients praised the team for being “extremely knowledgeable locally” and “very well connected with the state government in Albany.”
Chambers singled out the following individuals for recognition:
- Jim Canfield, ranked since 2015; Chambers acknowledged numerous sources praising his “excellent work product.”
- Chris Greene, ranked since 2015; Chambers cited multiple clients who noted, “He is very personable and gets the job done.”
- Jon Devendorf, ranked since 2015; Chambers referenced a source describing him as an “all-around good lawyer,” noting, “He’s effective and he gets the job done.”
- Gabe Nugent, ranked since 2016; Chambers cited multiple clients complimenting him for “taking issues and breaking them down into laymen’s terms” as well as “giving very straight feedback and offering creative solutions."
- Maureen Helmer, ranked since 2013; Chambers highlighted her role as the former chair of the NY Public Service Commission and “acting for energy and telecommunications clients in a range of regulatory matters.”
- George Pond, ranked since 2011; Chambers cited a source describing him as “extremely knowledgeable.”
- Anne Evans; ranked since 2017; Chambers described her as having “notable real estate experience … bolstered by her license as a title insurance agent.”
Barclay Damon attorneys team across offices and practices to provide customized, targeted solutions grounded in industry knowledge and a deep understanding of our clients’ businesses. With nearly 300 attorneys, Barclay Damon is a leading regional law firm that operates from a strategic platform of offices located in the Northeastern United States and Toronto.
- Massachusetts Paid Family Medical Leave Law: Employer Notification Obligations
- Sweeping Amendments Impact Medicaid Fraud Control Units After 40 Years
- NYS Appellate Court Holds That Whether Provision in Construction Contract Required Additional Insured Coverage Presented Question of Fact
- The 2019-2020 NYS Budget Requires Financial Reporting for Electric Generators